Having a website is one of the simplest and easiest ways for the world to discover the amazing work you are doing. Manytimes NGOs do not have the budget to make this happen and might not have the internal expertise to do the same. Today's article is just for you! WordPress is a very popular blogging platform. You can create websites on your own in only a few minutes! The best part is, WordPress is made for people who don't have any prior knowledge or experience building websites!
How to create a website using WordPress:
Visit the start page. Here you need to pick what kind of website you are trying to create. Whether it is about health and wellness, education, technology, or art, select your category and move to the next step! You can always choose "other" if you feel you do not fit into these options. If however, you do choose "other", on the next page you will be asked to describe your organisation. Here you can type in what best describes your organisation, whether you're a charity, non-profit organisation, etc., shelter.
At this stage, you are asked to choose what type of site you want to make. You have four options to choose. First is Blog, second is Website, third is Portfolio, and fourth is Online Store. For this example, we will be explaining how to create the second option, a website.
Here the fun starts. In step three, you get to pick a theme! You can select one of the three displayed on this page, or you can skip the theme picking for after you have signed up. WordPress comes with hundreds of free themes and many more premium themes. So you can customise your website down to colour schemes and fonts. Have a look at all the themes they offer if you're curious.
Here you get to name your website. Take your time and choose a good one! If you are going to stick with the free WordPress account, your site will look like - example.wordpress.com, but if you are getting the paid WordPress account, you can remove the WordPress branding in your website URL. If however you already own a domain name, you will need a paid account to map the website you are creating on WordPress to use your site's address.
You're almost at the end, and now it's time to choose what plan is best for you. Read about all the plans WordPress offers here. Take into consideration all that you need in this website keeping your budget in mind. Don't forget; you can also choose to upgrade your account when the need arises.
The end is here; you finally create your WordPress account! Just key in your email address, choose a username and password, and done!
Congratulations! Your site is now live. Click the "My Site" button in the top left corner of the page, and you further customise the look of your brand new site!
Main features of WordPress:
- Easy to use: No prior knowledge of coding needed.
- Themes: Choose from hundreds of free themes.
- Customization: Besides selecting a theme, you can also add your logo, fonts, colour schemes, etc.
- Media storage: All the media you display on your site is saved on your WordPress account. You get 3GB with the free account and up to 13GB with the paid accounts.
- Users: Add others to manage your site with you. You can choose how much access each person gets.
- Plugins: If you have a paid account, you can add plugins to your site. There are thousands to choose from, and you can have a look at them here.
- Domains: You can add multiple domains to your WordPress account, and they will all lead to your website.
- Apps: Access and edit your site from a browser on your desktop, desktop app, or even on your smartphone or tablet by downloading their iOS and Android apps.
- Expert advice: Any time you need assistance with your WordPress account, you can ask a fellow WordPress user(an expert user) for advice or help here.